Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Eat. Drink. And Get Married!

I really use my blog for personal epiphanies, the big life questions and motherhood, of course. I never really get too personal with what's happening day in and day out, because I feel that would be a mundane blog to read. Point being, I actually got married last month! Which, you may not have had any idea that I was even engaged or not married, seeing as I already have children. So, surprise! 

This post is about my wedding day and while, I had the most perfect day, looking back there are a few things I would have done differently or made sure had been discussed beforehand. So if you're engaged this one's for you! 

Stick to the TRUE you.
Thanks to Pinterest, The Knot, and just the good ol' world wide web in general, you can literally go crazy planning a wedding. There is a way to personalize everything at a wedding, from the chairs down to the napkins. If you browse too many of these websites, you can feel overwhelmed quick and start thinking you need place cards, a huge fancy cake, hanging chandeliers, and a $10,000 dress to make your day perfect, but most of us don't need any of that. 

Weddings have gotten this crazy hype in the 21st century. It's like who can have the biggest, best, most over the top wedding and that's not what weddings were intended for. If you're an over the top gal or guy, then go for it, but for me; I had to remind myself, I'm a truly simple being that wants a simple wedding. 

So my advice as you start to plan this magical day is: think about the essence of you and your fiancĂ©. Capture it with a theme or color scheme. Look at Pinterest once or twice for a few ideas, but don't keep going back. Ideas will just come to you organically, from your base idea. Remember what counts and if you forget something, it obviously wasn't that important. 

Only invite people that you or your fiancĂ© could sit and talk with for hours. 
Mine and James' wedding day was so filled with love. I could literally feel the love beaming out from James and ALL of our guests. When I walked down the aisle, I was giggling a little bit, because I could just feel all the warm wishes and love all around me. It was so so special and I think it's, because we knew everyone. And I mean knew them. Even our photographer and DJ were good friends of ours. It was so personal and made the day even more cherishable. There were a few people on my side and a few on James' side that either of us weren't too close with, but they were surely people I'd love to sit down and talk to for as long as they wanted to talk to me, because they meant so much to James. 

So I wouldn't worry about inviting your mother's fourth cousin, Billy Bob. If you have a hard time locating some one's address, they shouldn't be invited, because you obviously do not keep in touch. Invite people who have shown their support through out the years and you know, truly wish you all the best. 

Hotel Staying.
If you are staying in a hotel for your wedding, check in at least 2 days before the big day. I checked in the day before and it was a little hectic. The second I got to the resort, I was in the "I'm getting married" bliss and any stress melted away, so if I could do it over, I would have gotten there a few days earlier. 

Also, I know lots of places the cut off time for the reception is 10 pm. 10 pm comes in the blink of an eye. If at all possible, I would try to negotiate with your venue and keep the reception going until midnight or plan a place for everyone to go after (like a hotel room-haha)! I was hanging with friends, playing drinking games in my wedding gown until 3 am, and it was awesome. All my husbands best friends and all my best friends were in the same room just having a blast! 

Pick the dress YOU love and do your hair the way YOU want it.
I didn't really have an issue with this, because I'm pretty stubborn and when I want something a certain way, it sure as heck is going to go that way! But, I have a few girlfriends that did their hair a certain way, because people they care about put forth their opinions and they wanted to be respectful and courteous, but they look back and wish they had done their hair how they wanted it. I also picked my dress out all by myself, which sounds depressing, but it was nice, because I picked the dress I absolutely loved and didn't have clouded judgement by others opinions. So, just make sure your hair and make up are exactly how YOU want it, and make sure you take supportive people that realize it's not their wedding, it's yours, when picking out the dress of your life :). 


On the day.
For real, this day NEVER happens again. I almost want to cry thinking about it, because I want to go back (ha)! But seriously, everything is going to unfold and if something goes wrong, you can choose to focus on that and freak out and lose sacred moments of a spectacular day, or you can realize nothing can really go wrong on that day. All the other stuff- where the flowers are placed, how quickly the food comes out, if the candles get lit, if the power goes out on the DJ for 10 minutes during your Money Dance, if the seating chart is a little messed up, and if the strongest winds to ever grace southern California appear (all happened at my wedding)--all of that doesn't matter! 

Looking back, I can notice where things went "wrong," but on the day, I was so oblivious. It feels like a dream. The best dream ever, where ALL your loved ones are at the same spot, at the same time and you get to dance, laugh, and drink with them, all night long, whilst looking into the eyes of a person that wants to go down the road of forever with you. I mean...gosh...how could you let a little wind ruin that? Some one could have pushed me in a pool and I think I would have laughed! Point being, embrace every single moment. 


Things I'm Thankful For on the Big Day.
-No one brought any "problems" to my attention. A groomsmen's tux was delivered in the wrong color, my minister (cousin) was running a little late, and a few other little tid bits, but NO ONE told me about it, which is awesome. I was sipping on a mimosa, stress-free! 

-Getting a slurpee at 7-11 with my maid of honor at 9 am. Kept me grounded and relaxed! 

-Getting a starbucks delivered to my room, from my husband, with a cute note on it. And continuing to receive cute notes through out the day. After all, the day is just about me and him committing to one another and those little surprises kept me focused on what was important that day.

-Personally knowing my vendors and officiant. I was married by my cousin and one of my very best friends took our photos and video. It made the day even more special and real to me. I just couldn't picture a stranger speaking about how great mine and James' love was, when they would have had no actual clue. I'm very thankful it was such an intimate time from walking down the aisle til the end of the reception. 

-ALL the support I felt. I have the absolute best friends and family. People were swinging by my room all day long, while I was getting ready, and it didn't stress me out, it excited me. Everyone who came in was so warm and supportive! Especially, all my bridesmaids and maid of honor. I had the best day with them and it seemed like they were feeling the butterflies with me, which made it all the more special.

To sum it up. 
-Don't get too big for your britches. Everyone is doing their best to make your day wonderful, so don't turn into a psycho that loses friends. 

-Go with the flow. Things are going to go wrong, who cares! 

-Soak it all in. 

This day is magical. Stop and realize it :). 































No comments:

Post a Comment